Thursday, October 16, 2008

Anti-Obama Truck(s): Update

(This message is from Rick Thomas, UCDC Chair, and seemed like the kind of thing we should all be made aware of. -JG)

I don’t know how many of you heard the story on WKOK today about the weirdness on Market Street Wednesday afternoon. Here’s a report on WKOK’s web site:

Anti-Obama sign called ‘distasteful’ in Lewisburg

LEWISBURG – What most called a “distasteful” political sign caught the
attention of Lewisburg residents Wednesday afternoon. The sign, sitting in the
back of a pickup truck in the 300 block of Market Street showed a picture of
Democratic Presidential candidate Barack Obama, smoking a cigarette and wearing
a hat shaped like an acorn.

On the sign, the words, “Fellow members of ACORN will help me form my
administration…Thanks, you made it happen.” Nancy, of Lewisburg, found the sign
offensive. She said no matter which political party you favor, it is unfair
politics and not the way we should be voting.

Union County Chairman of the Republican Party, Yvonne Morgan, agreed,
saying she thinks it promotes ill will among citizens in Union County. She also
said she tried to contact the police, but they told her it was free speech. No
word on who owns the truck or who put up the sign. (Sara Bartlett)

I saw a picture of the truck, and it was truly strange. But I saw something today that was down right scary. On my way from a meeting at the Best Western near Country Cupboard today around noon, I heard the report on WKOK. Three vehicles in front of me was a pick up truck (an older Ford F-350 with a King Cab, dark green in color, and with a chrome trim around the top of the bed) and I noticed a fairly large sign across the top of the back window. Now, bear in mind that there were two cars in front of me and that I couldn’t read the license plate, but I had no problem reading the sign across the back. It said “BASH A MUSLIM. BASH OBAMA”

Now, while the truck parked down town may have been just weird, and perhaps DID fall within the realms of free speech, I’m not sure the guy driving the truck I saw would fall into that same category. BTW, the truck I saw was NOT the truck that was in town. I followed the truck up Water Street, and he then turned left and crossed the bridge, heading east. I turned right and stopped by our campaign office and the Obama office, just to see if anyone else has seen this particular vehicle running around town. They hadn’t.

I’m asking that folks keep an eye out for this vehicle. I really think that this guy has crossed the line not only of truthfulness, but also seems to be encouraging physical violence to both Muslims and a presidential candidate. If anyone can get a license number for this truck, please write it down and get it to me. I will turn it over to the police and to the PA State Democratic Committee, with the request that the driver of the truck be questioned as to just what the intent of the message is. I believe it’s a fair question to ask. The Secret Service might be interested in it, too.

But I would ask that YOU not be the one to encounter the owner of the vehicle, in that if he’s encouraging violence, he’s liable to not stop at just Muslims and presidential candidates.

Thanks,
Rick

No comments: